Tips on avoiding renting scams
- Never Western Union Money to someone who isn’t family or a close friend
- If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is
- Bad Grammar or English is a red flag
- Out of country or out of state without a property manager is a no no
- Never give out money or personal information before you’ve seen the apartment
- Check the internet for other ads for the apartment and make sure the price and contact information match
- Look at tax records
- Beware of emails with lots of personal information especially containing information on a tragedy, volunteer work or missionary work.
- Walk away if “Landlord” doesn’t do basic tenant screening such as a credit check
http://www.tenantverification.com – more information on tenant screening.